Re: [hylafax-users] Stupid Serial port problem

Floyd,

[This message has been CCed to David Lawyer (maintainer of the serial
HOWTO), Jukka Lahtinen (the minicom maintainer), and the HylaFAX-users
mailing list.]

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 02:29:56PM -0800, Floyd Davidson wrote:
> Ross Vandegrift <ross@willow.seitz.com> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've got a ridiculous problem with serial ports on a HylaFAX server.
> >The box is up and running well with one modem connected to /dev/ttyS0
> >using the HylaFAX from Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
> >
> >Wanted to add an incoming-only fax line, I hooked up a second modem to
> >/dev/ttyS1.  However, the modem attached to ttyS1 doesn't work -
> >instead, accessing ttyS1, ttyS2, or ttyS3 with minicom allow me to
> >control ttyS0.  ttyS2 and 3 aren't even present on the system.
> >
> >I've verified the hardware is fine - Telix under DOS can control the
> >modems using the exact same I/O port and Irq configuration.  The two
> >serial ports are using the standard 0x3f8/4 and 0x2f8/3 port/irq
> >configs.  The Linux kernel correctly detecs this, as does setserial.
>
> If setserial lists ttyS0 and ttyS1 as using different addresses and irq's,
> then they are.
>
> If minicom accesses gets ttyS0, then it isn't using different a
> address/irq...
>
> Indeed, if you try changing the settings for minicom it will appear to
> change them, but won't unless you do it exactly right.
>
>    1)  su to root.
>
>    2)  invoke "minicom -s".
>
>    3)  set the serial port to ttyS1
>
>    4)  save the settings to either default, or
>        to some named configuration, such as "port1".
>
>    5)  exit minicom
>
>    6)  exit root
>
>    7)  invoke minicom, as "minicom" to get the default config,
>        or as "minicom port1" to get the port1 configuration.

This procedure worked perfectly.  The fact that I have to do change
serial ports like this is clearly a bug in minicom - the interface
should not reflect using /dev/ttyS1 if it's really using /dev/ttyS0.

Also, after accessing both modems with minicom, faxgetty can now
correctly communicate with both modems.  I'm not entirely sure how this
could've made a difference, and I wouldn't be surprised if the problems
were actually unrelated.  Perhaps the same bug that causes minicom to
think it's using ttyS1 while really using ttyS0 also affect faxgetty?

I'd offer to do testing, but I imagine the rest of the company is
chomping at the bit to get computer faxing working again.

Ross Vandegrift
ross@willow.seitz.com