[hylafax-users] faxstat and sendfax failing on SuSE 7.1

Hi,

I got hylafax running quite nicely on RedHat 7.3 from RPM.  Now  I'm trying
to do the same on SuSE 7.1 and it's failing.

I tried the RPM from hylafax.org, but it didn't work (too new apparently).
The rpm complained about my version of libtiff.  I couldn't resolve it so I
rebuilt the source rpm.

It installed but  hylafax still refuses to start on boot, and after starting
it by hand faxstat  and sendfax just hang.

I uninstalled the rpm and installed from tarball.  Identical problem.

All the configuration steps up to sending the fax seem to work just fine.
Probemodem recognizes the modem on ttyS0 as it should.
Faxgetty starts up on boot.

On the Redhat box I used cu -l to talk to the modem by hand.  SuSE doesn't
provide that.

Any idea why the commands are hanging?

Thank you
--