Re: [hylafax-users] faxcover.ps working for sendfax but not Cypheus

At 01:04 PM 5/16/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:10:31AM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
>> At 09:43 AM 5/16/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>> >Lee: has this changed *twice*?  Cause if not, it changed earlier than
>> >beta 3, I think.  I think it was 4.0/4.1b...
>>
>> No, it's only changed once, partially in 4.1beta1 and completely by
>> 4.1beta2... and I sincerely hope that it never changes again.  The patch on
>> Bug 81 doesn't alter compatibility, in fact, it makes faxcover backwards
>> compatible with make_faxcover... but it doesn't touch BreakIntoLines.
>
>If you'll forgive me sounding like I have to be right, or something
>(:-), that *does* mean that when it changed was "between 4.0 and
>4.1beta", as I noted.

Yes.  It did change.  Literally, I think there were two or three commits
that were involved in the change, and one of those commits happened after
the 4.1beta1 release (included in 4.1beta2), I think.  There were no
faxcover changes in the 4.1beta3 release, AFAIK.

>> I'm not completely keen on BreakIntoLines history, but I believe that the
>> alterations done at that time were to utilize stringwidth rather than a
>> character-count.  Robert was concerned about comments running off the page,
>> perhaps causing PS->TIFF-F errors, and also pulled the commentX, replacing
>> it with CommentsX - but it seems his intentions were to go back and rework
>> this because of the indications in a couple of -devel messages and the fact
>> that none of the faxcover documentation.  Consequently, the faxcover
>> documentation is greatly out-of-sync with faxcover behavior when it comes
>> to this.
>
>And, indeed, this was the problem that cause coverpg.ps/faxcover(1F)
>incompatibilities on upgrades, right?

Precisely.