Re: [hylafax-users] faxcover.ps working for sendfax but not Cypheus

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:10:31AM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:

> >> I will change Cypheus' code ASAP.
> >
> >Suggestion: configuration switch: "New PS/Old OS".
> >
> >Lee: has this changed *twice*?  Cause if not, it changed earlier than
> >beta 3, I think.  I think it was 4.0/4.1b...
>
> No, it's only changed once, partially in 4.1beta1 and completely by
> 4.1beta2... and I sincerely hope that it never changes again.  The patch on
> Bug 81 doesn't alter compatibility, in fact, it makes faxcover backwards
> compatible with make_faxcover... but it doesn't touch BreakIntoLines.

If you'll forgive me sounding like I have to be right, or something
(:-), that *does* mean that when it changed was "between 4.0 and
4.1beta", as I noted.

> I'm not completely keen on BreakIntoLines history, but I believe that the
> alterations done at that time were to utilize stringwidth rather than a
> character-count.  Robert was concerned about comments running off the page,
> perhaps causing PS->TIFF-F errors, and also pulled the commentX, replacing
> it with CommentsX - but it seems his intentions were to go back and rework
> this because of the indications in a couple of -devel messages and the fact
> that none of the faxcover documentation.  Consequently, the faxcover
> documentation is greatly out-of-sync with faxcover behavior when it comes
> to this.

And, indeed, this was the problem that cause coverpg.ps/faxcover(1F)
incompatibilities on upgrades, right?

> Bug 81 and the patch were an effort to resolve this disparity and provide
> the backwards compatibility for commentX use.  Robert would like the
> commentX fields to be generated with use of stringwidth also, but the
> problem is that the font&metrics aren't known to faxcover.ps until *after*
> the commentX fields are already generated.  So, unless anyone feels like
> rewriting the whole of faxcover to accomodate those few who don't/wouldn't
> use fixed-width fonts in conjunction with commentX... the patch on Bug 81
> is pretty much "as good as it gets".

Sounds good enough to me...

> Truth be said, commentX and CommentsX are really very poor features in
> comparison with the current BreakIntoLines feature.

You won't get an argument out of *me*...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS/X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows