Re: [hylafax-users] faxcover.ps working for sendfax but not Cypheus

At 09:43 AM 5/16/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 09:30:46AM +0200, Bodo Noering wrote:
>> > Cypheus is sending ps code for the old syntax which is
>> > incompatible with the 4.1 Beta 3 format for
>> > BreakIntoLines. By replacing what Cypheus sends with
>> > what faxcover generates, the procedure is called correctly.
>>
>> I will change Cypheus' code ASAP.
>
>Suggestion: configuration switch: "New PS/Old OS".
>
>Lee: has this changed *twice*?  Cause if not, it changed earlier than
>beta 3, I think.  I think it was 4.0/4.1b...

No, it's only changed once, partially in 4.1beta1 and completely by
4.1beta2... and I sincerely hope that it never changes again.  The patch on
Bug 81 doesn't alter compatibility, in fact, it makes faxcover backwards
compatible with make_faxcover... but it doesn't touch BreakIntoLines.

I'm not completely keen on BreakIntoLines history, but I believe that the
alterations done at that time were to utilize stringwidth rather than a
character-count.  Robert was concerned about comments running off the page,
perhaps causing PS->TIFF-F errors, and also pulled the commentX, replacing
it with CommentsX - but it seems his intentions were to go back and rework
this because of the indications in a couple of -devel messages and the fact
that none of the faxcover documentation.  Consequently, the faxcover
documentation is greatly out-of-sync with faxcover behavior when it comes
to this.

Bug 81 and the patch were an effort to resolve this disparity and provide
the backwards compatibility for commentX use.  Robert would like the
commentX fields to be generated with use of stringwidth also, but the
problem is that the font&metrics aren't known to faxcover.ps until *after*
the commentX fields are already generated.  So, unless anyone feels like
rewriting the whole of faxcover to accomodate those few who don't/wouldn't
use fixed-width fonts in conjunction with commentX... the patch on Bug 81
is pretty much "as good as it gets".

Truth be said, commentX and CommentsX are really very poor features in
comparison with the current BreakIntoLines feature.