Re: [hylafax-users] OT : New Features

> There will be a non-beta 4.1 release when all of the bugs in the current
> code are worked-through.  These are listed on Bugzilla.  Meanwhile, all of
> the releases will be "beta".

So the current CVS snapshot is something that is currently stable enough
to use in production?

I have a number of USR sportster's that I'd like to get going, but past
history has lead me to a number of well-known problems.

Can someone either confirm that work has been done in the last six
months to better support these USR modems or recommend an inexpensive
external modem that will function reliably?

Further, the problem I'm having with a USR sportster (9600 baud, old
one) is that it doesn't hang up periodically after receiving a fax. It
somehow thinks there's still a fax coming in and sits there forever
waiting for info. Is there an easy resolution to this perhaps?

I'm using 4.1beta1 on Linux.

Thanks,
Dave

> The problem with the current "bugs" are that for the most part they are not
> detrimental to the functionality of HylaFAX - so there's very little
> pressure to get them fixed promptly.
>
> There have been a few comments about future plans of version 5.  The fax
> code needs to be multi-threaded so that, for example, 2-D MR can be used on
> the first attempt.  Some talk about making HylaFAX enterprise-level, so
> that multiple HylaFAX servers can work together on outbound job handling -
> based on location or whatever.  There are a few features that need to be
> developed, too, and I don't know if they belong in v4 or v5, but an example
> is the need for an additional type of "KillTime" argument which begins its
> count-down at the time of the first attempt, and not at the time of the
> scheduled attempt.  This makes a big difference on systems that send out
> thousands of faxes and where one scheduled job may be stuck behind a long
> line of others for several hours.
>
> Anyway, I'm overstepping my bounds probably here, as I'm not likely to be
> the one to code all of these things into HylaFAX myself.  If anyone is into
> coding these things, or other things that you would like to see implemented
> into HylaFAX code base, then I invite you to join hylafax-devel.
>
> Lee.

Dave Wreski
Corporate Manager                           Guardian Digital, Inc.
(201) 934-9230                Pioneering.  Open Source.  Security.
dave@guardiandigital.com            http://www.guardiandigital.com