Re: [hylafax-users] OT : New Features

At 06:38 AM 2/21/01 -0800, matt kaminer wrote:
>Are there any planned new features for Hylafax in the near future?
>
>Will there be an official 4.x release?  or a 5.0 release?

There will be a non-beta 4.1 release when all of the bugs in the current
code are worked-through.  These are listed on Bugzilla.  Meanwhile, all of
the releases will be "beta".

The problem with the current "bugs" are that for the most part they are not
detrimental to the functionality of HylaFAX - so there's very little
pressure to get them fixed promptly.

There have been a few comments about future plans of version 5.  The fax
code needs to be multi-threaded so that, for example, 2-D MR can be used on
the first attempt.  Some talk about making HylaFAX enterprise-level, so
that multiple HylaFAX servers can work together on outbound job handling -
based on location or whatever.  There are a few features that need to be
developed, too, and I don't know if they belong in v4 or v5, but an example
is the need for an additional type of "KillTime" argument which begins its
count-down at the time of the first attempt, and not at the time of the
scheduled attempt.  This makes a big difference on systems that send out
thousands of faxes and where one scheduled job may be stuck behind a long
line of others for several hours.

Anyway, I'm overstepping my bounds probably here, as I'm not likely to be
the one to code all of these things into HylaFAX myself.  If anyone is into
coding these things, or other things that you would like to see implemented
into HylaFAX code base, then I invite you to join hylafax-devel.