Re: [hylafax-users] OT : New Features

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 02:14:14PM -0500, Dave Wreski wrote:
> > There will be a non-beta 4.1 release when all of the bugs in the current
> > code are worked-through.  These are listed on Bugzilla.  Meanwhile, all of
> > the releases will be "beta".
>
> So the current CVS snapshot is something that is currently stable enough
> to use in production?

I can testify to this, yes it is.  I've got a couple of fairly high
traffic boxen, one doing over 100 7 page jobs every weekday, that's
been running for the last 3 months or more with only one small glitch.

That only takes one modem, by the way, 8 is the deepest I've ever seen
the send queue get.

> I have a number of USR sportster's that I'd like to get going, but past
> history has lead me to a number of well-known problems.
> Can someone either confirm that work has been done in the last six
> months to better support these USR modems or recommend an inexpensive
> external modem that will function reliably?

I use MultiTech 2834ZDX and 5600ZDX models; if you're going production,
the extra 50 bucks or so is worth it... but frankly, *any* Multitech
modem that's FAX capable should be rock steady, and I suspect the older
large case ones would be pretty cheap on the used market.

> I'm using 4.1beta1 on Linux.

Hmmm.. I don't recognize that specific bug (failure to hang up at end),
but as long as you're running those USR's in class 1... (I was long a
class 2 booster... but I had my mind changed for me; thanks Dmitry.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink