Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with TIFF program

> Antoine Maitre wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a problem while running "./configure". There seems to be a Path
> problem with TIFFINC and LIBTIFF.
>
> I have tiff-v3.4 installed in /applic/tiff-v3.4/
> Hylafax is in /applic/hylafax-4.1beta2/
>
> there's nothing in /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/include
>
> in config.site :
>
> TIFFINC="/applic/tiff-v3.4/libtiff"
> LIBTIFF="-L/applic/tiff-v3.4/libtiff -ltiff"
>
> I am not sure about LIBTIFF because I don't understand what it is used
> for.
>

> I GET THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
>
> Checking TIFF support.
> Using TIFF binary files from /applic/tiff-v3.4/tools
>
> Incompatible/missing TIFF Library.
>
> Compilation or execution of the following test program failed:

> #include "tiffio.h"
> main()
> {
>     if (TIFFLIB_VERSION < 19960307) {     /* check include file
> version */
>         printf("old include files: version %u\n", TIFFLIB_VERSION);
>         exit(-1);
>     }
>     if (strncmp(TIFFGetVersion(), "LIBTIFF, Version 3.4", 20) != 0) {
>         printf("old library: version %s\n", TIFFGetVersion());
>         exit(-1);
>     } else
>         exit(0);
> }
>
> With:
>
> TIFFINC=/applic/tiff-v3.4/libtiff
> LIBTIFF=-L/applic/tiff-v3.4/libtiff -ltiff
>
> The above program checks the version of the TIFF library to ensure it
> is suitable for use with HylaFAX.  HylaFAX 4.1beta2 requires a recent
> TIFF software distribution; one distributed March 7, 1996 or later.
> If
> you do not have up to date TIFF software on your system then you can
> retrieve it from the location where you obtained this software.
> Otherwise, if you have the right software, verify that you have the
> TIFFINC and LIBTIFF configuration parameters set correctly for your
> system (see above) and that any environment variables are setup that
> are needed to locate a libtiff DSO at runtime (e.g. LD_LIBRARY_PATH).
> Also be sure that any relative pathnames are made relative to the top
> of the build area.
>

> Unrecoverable error!  Once you've corrected the problem rerun this
> script.

I resolved the problem by putting in the script:

LIBTIFF="-L/usr/lib -ltiff"
TIFFINC=/usr/include
main()
{
    if (TIFFLIB_VERSION < 19960307) {     /* check include file version
*/

I changed

if (strncmp(TIFFGetVersion(), "LIBTIFF, Version 3.4", 20) != 0)

by

if (strncmp(TIFFGetVersion(), "LIBTIFF, Version 3.5", 20) != 0)

I have the following libtiff version installed on redhat :

$rpm -qa | grep libtiff
libtiff-3.5.5-7
libtiff-devel-3.5.5-7

--
Jehan Procaccia
Institut National des Telecommunications| Email :