hfaxd: Operation not permitted

Hello all,

I can't seem to retrieve faxes via hfaxd from another host. I get
"Operation not permitted".  The faxes arrive correctly and get stored in
the recvq (I pulled them out manually and looked at them). Host "grendel"
(OpenBSD 2.6) is the client, and "freebie" (OpenBSD 2.5) is the fax
server.

I'm looking for clues to probe deeper (diagnostics/logs/traces) to find
the snag.

Version: HylaFAX 4.0pl2 built with gcc 2.8.6 on i386.

I launch hfaxd with:
 /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559
It appears to be listening correctly (test with telnet to 4559).
Do I have to kill and relaunch hfaxd whenever I edit etc/hosts?

I have set all the bits in "ServerTracing" in etc/config (decimal 511)
but I don't seem to be generating any unusual messages (I'll get notes
about CWD failing if I haven't logged in, but nothing relevant to
"Operation not permitted).

The hosts file (etc/hosts) is mode 600.  I've tried at various time the
following lines:
 192.168.250.4
 grendel.bts
 ^.*@.*\.bts$:66::
   Where .bts is my intranet domain and the IP is that of grendel.

Directory recvq is mode 755, uucp:dialer and the fax file is 600
uucp:dialer. hafxd is running as root.

If I use plain old ftp:
 louis@grendel:/home/louis> ftp ftp://freebie:4559/recvq/fax00002.tif
 Connected to freebie.bts.
 220 freebie.bts server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl2) ready.
 230 User anonymous logged in.
 Remote system type is UNIX.
 Using binary mode to transfer files.
 200 Type set to Image.
 250 CWD command successful.
 250 CWD command successful.
 Retrieving recvq/fax00002.tif
 227 Entering passive mode (192,168,250,5,154,27)
 550 fax00002.tif: Operation not permitted.      <<< SNAG!
 221 Goodbye.

If I just telnet to the port I get:
 louis@grendel:/home/louis> telnet freebie 4559
 Trying 192.168.250.5...
 Connected to freebie.bts.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 220 freebie.bts server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl2) ready.
So at least hfaxd is listening on the port.

Thanks
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca/
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions