Sending received faxes via email.

I've been using hylaxfax for almost a whole month now and i love it.
But the only thing that i didn't like was how i had to go about viewing
received faxes.  Then i learnt about the bin/faxrcvd file and i came up
with nice little command line, that when inserted into the right place
will attach the fax that was just received to the notification email that
gets sent to 'faxmaster'.

	uuencode $FILE 'fax'$COMMID'.tif'

This was done on SCO Openserver 5.0.4 using the uuencode command line
tool.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with other operating systems
that have a uuencode program.  Wot this does it uuencodes the file to
standard output which then gets sent to the MTA with the rest of the
notification message.  I have put this line in the part of faxrcvd where
the email gets sent after a successful fax was received.  The surrounding
lines of code are:

        elif [ -n "$COMMID" ]; then
            echo "    No transcript available (CommID c$COMMID)."
        else
            echo "    No transcript available."
        fi
     else
        echo "CommID:     c$COMMID (ftp://$HOSTNAME:$PORT/log/c$COMMID)"
        uuencode $FILE 'fax'$COMMID'.tif'
     fi
     if [ -n "$SENDTO" ]; then
        echo ""
        echo "The facsimile was automatically dispatched to: $SENDTO."
     fi

It's simple, but it works.  The mail client i use to pick up the email
is Outlook 98.  This may have an effect on the compatibility of the
produced email.

I hope you can make sense of this as i'm not exactly a good writer of FAQs.
I searched the FAQ and couldn't find anything like this in there so i
thought
i'd send it along so others can learn how to do it.

Regards,

Jamie Carl
jamie@cyrious.com.au
Managing Director