Re: Misc. ramblings about older USR modems

I ran cqtest on the faxes I have received so far. They all
generate output that looks similar to this:

~local/sbin/cqtest -o /dev/null fax00077.tif

1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MR, lsb-to-msb
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2137, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2138, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2139, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2140, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2141, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: adjusting for trailing noise (5 run)
RECV: 2137 total lines, 0 bad lines, 0 consecutive bad lines
1728 x 297, 7.7 line/mm, 1-D MR, lsb-to-msb
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2138, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2139, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2140, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2141, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 2142, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: adjusting for trailing noise (5 run)
RECV: 2138 total lines, 0 bad lines, 0 consecutive bad lines

Is this good, bad, or indifferent?

Rob

At 09:48 AM 4/22/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Rob,
>
>Before you go through the hassle of upgrading your firmware could you check
>the faxes you receive are regularly corrupt.
>
>I was forced to turn off hylafax copy quality checking because i just could
>not receive faxes from certain locations with USR modems.  At first i
>thought this was the modem or the sending location but without using
>hylafax's copy quality checking the resulting faxes received were almost
>always perfect.=20
>
>ie Try running cqtest or similar on your received faxes.
>
>- Robert C
>
>At 10:33 AM 4/21/99 +0100, you wrote:
>>website at address
>>upgrading.
>>>
>>>I sort of figured that,but don't USR still have ways of upgrading the
>>>firmware on their older modems?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>
>>The modem is too old to be flashed or upgraded using any method by the
>>user. USR has directed me to send the modem into their repair depot so
>>that the firmware can be upgraded. The new firmware is dated 8/26/96. I
>>have received conflicting reports on whether I should upgrade the=
 firmware.
>>Is the firmware dated 8/26/96 any better than the firmware dated 10/18/95?
>>
>>I am asuming the the repair depot will upgrade the firmware using an
>>eprom writer rather than replacing the actual eprom chip.=20
>>
>>Rob
>>
>>P.S., I have some additional progress to report on my project but
>>I haven't had the time to write it up. I will do so within the
>>next few days.
>>
>>Thanks everyone
>>
>>Rob
>>---
>>Robert Side			Voice: (250) 479 8646  =20
>>Acquired Intelligence Inc.	Fax:   (250) 479 0764
>>#205 - 1095 McKenzie Ave	Email: rside@aiinc.bc.ca
>>Victoria, B.C, CANADA V8P 2L5	URL: http://vvv.com/ai
>>Acquire=AE is a registered trademark of Acquired Intelligence Inc.

---
#205 - 1095 McKenzie Ave	Email: rside@aiinc.bc.ca
Victoria, B.C, CANADA V8P 2L5	URL: http://vvv.com/ai
Acquire=AE is a registered trademark of Acquired Intelligence Inc.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions