Re: help me upgrade, please

Steve Williams wrote:

    > I have HylaFax4.0pl0 installed in my system, and I compiled pl1. Now I
    > want to install pl1, but I'm affraid just making "make install"
    > without "faxsetup" could not be enough.
    >
    > Please, take away my fears, and tell me I don't need to reconfigure it
    > all, and "make install" is enough...
    >
    > I'm waiting for this to upgrade...

    Yes, it should be fine.  Make sure that NONE of the executables from pl0
    are running when you do the "make install".  For example, hfaxd, faxgetty,
    faxq.

    If you have done customization to any files ( faxcover.ps, notify,... ),
    I would make a backup copy of them as well, just to make sure.  The install
    script SHOULD notice that they are different & put a message "Local Changes
    to XXXX", but it's better to be save than sorry.

    The config files won't be touched, & all should be OK.

I'm not really sure about that; e.g. this would not work if you've
changed the location of the spooling area or some other values
before running ./configure;

faxsetup(1M) writes a file etc/setup.cache which all other
server scripts include for getting the environment; if this
file no longer reflect your values from ./configure HylaFAX
will not work;

	matthias

--
firm: matthias.apitz@softcon.de [voc:+49-89-61308-351, fax: +49-89-61308-188]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

"We don't care.  We don't have to.  You'll buy whatever we ship, so why bother?
 We're Microsoft." (found in Usenet)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions