[hylafax-users] T38modem and Hylafax question.

I know that this isn't exactly the right place to ask this, but the T38modem board on sourceforge appears to be dead, and I know that there are several people who use T38modem on this list. Sorry for the OT to everyone else.

I'm having trouble sending faxes to fax machines that are behind PBXs. The problem appears to be that the call goes through, but the PBX picks up the line, figures out that a fax machine is calling it, and then finds its fax machine. This takes several seconds. The T38 provider that I'm using only waits 8 seconds to hear a fax squeal from the receiving line in order to send a SIP T38 re-invite to switch to T38. Very often 8 seconds is way too short.

I see in the SIP spec that EITHER end can send the re-invite. However, I'm not sure how to get T38Modem to do this.

I've tried using the --force-fax-mode argument, but that doesn't seem to do what I want it to do. (I'm not exactly sure what it DOES do actually) and I don't seem to see any arguments for how long to keep listening for fax squeal so that T38modem can send the re-invite.

I'm sure that other people using T38modem must have experienced this issue before. How do you deal with it?

thanks.

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems