[hylafax-users] Question about USR Faxmodems incorrectly initiating

Hello all,

I've been a happy hylafax user for many years, and never had a problem I couldn't beat yet. However, this one has me up against a wall.

The situation:

I have a server running OpenSuSE 11.2, with the standard packaged version of hylafax installed. SuSE refers to it as version 4.4.4-19.3. It has a single USR Sportster attached, which receives faxes without a problem (post-processing, converting to PDF, sending to email, etc etc all working fine).

The Problem:

It won't send faxes properly. More precisely, when it tries to send a fax, it dials, and then does not send fax tones. It instead begins the squelch noise, as if it is the receiving fax machine, instead of sending tones and waiting for the answerer to begin handshake. I had 5 different USR modems laying around, going back to some old 33.6 versions, and I tried them all - getting the same issue. I have re-run faxaddmodem and configured the modem as Class 1 and Class 2.0, but the problem persists in either setting.

For some extra troubleshooting, I involved minicom. I discovered that AFTER trying to send a fax, if I load minicom and tell the modem to dial out to my cel phone, when I answer the cel phone the faxmodem is already starting the fax squeal. However, if I issue the atz command in minicom (resets modem) and then dial my cel phone, it works just fine, and I hear silence on the line when I answer. Then, if I exit minicom and try to send another fax with hylafax, and then go back into minicom and dial my cel phone, I hear the squeal again. Entering atz and dialing again once more produces a silent line.

Before and after issuing the atz command, if I type ati4 and look at every single setting, they're all the same. So there must be some other fax-related setting that doesn't show up in ati4, which is causing this, and is actually being sent to the modem by hylafax (it seems) but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

I also upgraded the firmware on the USR modem but the problem persists.

Has anyone seen this before? Where do I look to fix this problem?