Re: [hylafax-users] Clear Channel faxes

Brian Postow wrote:
I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to use T38modem to have hylafax talk to a Mediatrix FOIP box. The guy who sold me the box suggested that T38 is a bad technology, and I should try Clear Channel. My google fu is weak, and only comes up with radio stations and billboards.

Does anyone know of a program that will simulate a tty for hylafax to talk to and then send clear channel out the IP? I'm using a Mac, but anything unix SHOULD work, I think.

By "clear channel" the guy probably means using G.711 (VoIP) instead of T.38 (FoIP). The difference being that G.711 communicates audio data and T.38 communicates fax data. t38modem does not talk "clear channel", so to accomplish this you'd need to probably do something like use Asterisk and IAXmodem instead.

While it may be true that the T.38 functionality of the Mediatrix box or the T.38 compatibility between the Mediatrix and t38modem is so poor that it would be better to use G.711 instead of T.38, this is not a good recommendation more generally. VoIP jitter interferes with the ability for the fax-modem DSP to demodulate the audio accurately all of the time. T.38 compensates for jitter by transmitting packets in duplicate, triplicate, or quadruplicate (depending on configuration).

See: http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/fax-over-voip.pdf

So if your Mediatrix box is receiving faxes via TDM then using VoIP on a short LAN network to get it to HylaFAX may work. Likewise if the Mediatrix can work as a T.38 gateway and the leg between the provider and the Mediatrix is T.38 you may also get away with this guy's recommendation. However, there are numerous reasons why it wouldn't work, and if it doesn't work reliably, and if the T.38 doesn't work reliably, then you may be out of luck with the Mediatrix involvement.

Thanks,