Re: [hylafax-users] hi there

Hello David,

In Linux (and most *nix distributions) you have the ability to send email to users using their names instead of their fully qualified email addresses.  This is enabled by (1) the way the mail relay is built / configured and (2) by using the /etc/aliases functionality.

In the HylaFAX installation guides there is a step for adding the Faxmaster alias and rebuilding the alias database.

In terms of your other question about your systems mail relay:  You have many different options when it comes to mail servers for your system, anything from sendmail to exim.  Most distributions are installed with sendmail setup to relay email and you can test this by issuing the following command:

 mail -s "test mail" user@domian < /etc/hosts

If you receive the test mail then you are good to go and Hylafax should be able to relay email using the machines existing configuration.  If, however, you don't get the email you are going to have to look into either configuring or setting up from scratch.

Have a look at:

http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Binary_Package_Install

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-05/msg00148.php

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-05/msg00146.php