Re: [hylafax-users] Faxing via a calling card

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Mikhail Teterin
<mi+mill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sent by Lee Howard:
>>>
>>> I have written a simple program (in Tcl) that helps my parents call
>>> people this way via a modem (it tells them, when to pick up the handset).
>>> It, actually, is more convenient for them, than even a regular phone would
>>> be even with straightforward dialing (redialing is easier)... They now want
>>> to be able to fax the same way. Can this be done without (substantial)
>>> changes to HylaFax' internals? Thanks,
>>
>> Yes, it can be done.  You'll want to use either dialrules or alter the
>> ModemDialCmd ... use lots of commas to "sleep through".  It will take some
>> trial-and-error work to get right, most likely.
>
> But that would always apply the same card to all calls, whereas most of them
> (the local ones) should be dialed directly, and even the long-distance ones
> may, ideally, use different calling cards depending on destination... The
> complex logic is hard (if not impossible) to express in regular expressions
> alone...
>
> In other words, I think, I'd be looking for a dial-out program... Can
> HylaFax be configured to launch on and "inherit" the telephone connection
> when the program exits?

how about calling the calling card company and asking if there is a
less verbose option for making calls?  maybe like hitting 9 after the
first prompt to just take the input and let you dial.  I wouldn't
think they would care that you want to automate it, as long as they
get paid.  or move up to internet faxing.... email to fax works pretty
well and is pretty cheap as well