Re: [hylafax-users] Faxing via a calling card

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
Sent by Lee Howard:
I have written a simple program (in Tcl) that helps my parents call people this way via a modem (it tells them, when to pick up the handset). It, actually, is more convenient for them, than even a regular phone would be even with straightforward dialing (redialing is easier)... They now want to be able to fax the same way. Can this be done without (substantial) changes to HylaFax' internals? Thanks,
Yes, it can be done. You'll want to use either dialrules or alter the ModemDialCmd ... use lots of commas to "sleep through". It will take some trial-and-error work to get right, most likely.

But that would always apply the same card to all calls, whereas most of them (the local ones) should be dialed directly, and even the long-distance ones may, ideally, use different calling cards depending on destination...

Well, that seems to be exactly what dialrules intends to satisfy.

The complex logic is hard (if not impossible) to express in regular expressions alone...

If dialrules is not suitable, then JobControl will be the way to go.

In other words, I think, I'd be looking for a dial-out program... Can HylaFax be configured to launch on and "inherit" the telephone connection when the program exits?

An upcoming version (5.2.8) of HylaFAX+ has some ability to send a fax on a modem that is already in-use. The feature was designed for a different purpose than yours, but in any case, I don't believe that this is what you want to do. It would make your operation significantly more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks,

*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Software Development Lead*
Tel: +1 866 363 6680 ext 805 | Fax: +1 360 462 8160
lee.howard@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com