Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX not receiving faxes.

Ramon F. McDougall wrote:
David Forrest wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Ramon F. McDougall wrote:

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
* Ramon F. McDougall <rfm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [081125 21:26]:

Hi,

The reason I included that one is because my system did not create ttyS1. I thought that all those files are related somehow. I figured that if you have your ttyS1 for your serial device that it would write a corresponding file to event file. That makes it interesting even though the distributions are different the files are similar. I will edit mine tty1 and try to start that warlock faxgetty deamon.

Look at /etc/default/hylafax, where you "configure" HylaFAX service
start/stop/options in debian (and thus ubuntu). You tell it in there whether
you're runing faxgettys already from init (well, I guess in ubuntu you'll have
to figure it out in upstart/event.d), or if you want to make the rc.d script
start them for you.

You have to make sure your config matches your "init".

a.

I looked at /etc/default/ but there is not hylafax.

[root@Hermes /]# cd /etc/default
[root@Hermes default]# ls
nss useradd

Thanks,

Ramon

Ramon, I've been off the list for a while and out of town so I've missed some of your prior notes.

I am running Fedora 9 and had a dickens of a time getting it all set up the first time so I feel for you considering the frustration I had. I remember you said you were running F9. If so try the following.

First: run the command chkconfig to see what gets started in each runlevel. hylafax should run ("on") in runlevels 2,3,4, and 5, and be "off" in 0,1, and 6. faxsetup should have created this setup.

Second: run the command dmesg | grep tty to see what tty's have been found. One of them should be your modem.

Third: check to see if there is a config file for your modem in /var/spool/hylafax/etc. File should be named config.ttyXXX (replace XXX with whatever you found in step 2) If it does not exist, rerun faxaddmodem using the ttyXXX you found in step 2.

Fourth: Check to see if faxgetty is running. ps axl |grep faxgetty should show /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyXXX if it is. If not, just start it as root as faxgetty ttyXXX. It is better to have it always running as it forks for each call; mine seems to be the same pid for weeks on end and runs as user uucp. I do use the F9 /etc/event.d/ttyXXX script, though, which should respawn it if it gets killed for any reason. See the man init and man telinit pages. Thsi script was installed by the make install command as I compiled hylafax from source. I do not know how the rpm binaries do it but I assume they "just do it".

There is a short page here: http://maplepark.com/~drf/consults/FaxServer.php
about my system and config files.

David Forrest e-mail drf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maple Park Development Corporation http://www.maplepark.com
St. Louis, Missouri

Well I'm glad you are back in town. :-) Welcome back.
First:
[root@Hermes /]# chkconfig

hylafax 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:offo I have to assume it has been running all along.

Well 2 is off. I guess I need to edit the inittab an include 2.

Second:
[root@Hermes /]# dmesg | grep tty
console [tty0] enabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
00:08: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
0000:00:08.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xe400 (irq = 17) is a 16550A

ttyS1 on irq 17 is verified

Third:

root@Hermes etc]# ls
config dialrules FaxDispatch setup.cache
config.sav dialrules.europe hosts.hfaxd setup.modem
config.ttyS1 dialrules.sf-ba lastrun templates
cover.templ dpsprinter.ps lutRS18.pcf xferfaxlog
[root@Hermes etc]#

There is a config.ttyS1

Fourth:

[root@Hermes /]# ps axl |grep faxgetty
0 0 4714 3851 20 0 5036 688 pipe_w S+ pts/3 0:00 grep faxgetty

Well I was running ps -ef and could never see. I'll attempt to start it again. Attempted to start faxgetty which is
in the /usr/sbin but I get a blinking cursor only, how long does it blink for before it starts?

I was under the impression that the RPMs would be easier. I was attempting to do a source install and that did not
work for me so I tried the RPM.

Thanks,

Ramon

I am mistaken, which file should I edit to have hylafax start on run level 2? Do you do this on the event.d/ttyXXX? What is the syntax?

Thanks again.

Ramon