Re: [hylafax-users] What command can I use to display runningservice.

Hi, Ramone;

ps -A and ps -a are different (former is more comprehensive). No sign of faxgetty or ttyS0 anywhere although getty running on tty1 to 6.

	faxstat -a gives:
	HylaFAX scheduler on server1.dmlinton.net: Running
	Modem ttyS0 (+1.613.473.4299): Running and idle

The ... means more because I have verbose reporting turned on but the rest of the report is long and irrelevant.

Your "Waiting for modem to come ready" means that either Hylafax server cannot see your modem or, more likely, your modem is not ready. I could get such a report if, for example, I powered the modem off and then back on. I would have have to do /etc/init.d/hylafax restart to get the modem and server talking again. I could also get the waiting for modem message when I had minicom running as it would be monopolozing the modem.

If you can, try powering everything (modem and computer) down then power up your modem on and boot your computer. As soon as you can get to a terminal, run faxstat to see whether you get "Running and idle" or "Waiting for modem...". It should definitely be the former although I have to say I am only familiar with Ubuntu Debian. Fedora could be slightly different.

If you really need to see whether faxgetty will run, execute:

# whereis faxgetty

you will receive something like /usr/sbin/faxgetty - whatever it is (translate as necessary), execute something like:

# /usr/sbin/faxgetty

You should then see faxgetty listed after executing ps -A. I guess this would prove, for whatever it might be worth, that your faxgetty will run. As I have noted before though, I really don't think it is necessary to start faxgetty individually - I don't on my system anyhow.

Best regards,
	Dennis

Ramon F. McDougall wrote:
Good Evening,

Dennis, thanks for your efforts. I would not worry about the info you provided me. I really appreciate the fact you and everyone on the list has been great in sharing their knowledge and time. I I just started on this last week but had a delay getting a modem that worked. I was reading the HalaFAX documentation and it states that faxgetty is the service that listens for incoming call. I figured that I should investigate as to why it was not running on my system.

I noticed that faxq and hfaxd are both running. Just for curiosity sake, if you do a ps –A, do see a faxgetty running on your system. I’m running on Fedora Core 9. I’m going to take your suggestion and move on. BTW, what fax client are you running?

[root@Hermes etc]# faxstat -a

HylaFAX scheduler on Hermes: Running

Modem ttyACM0 (305.541.7209): Waiting for modem to come ready

[root@Hermes etc]#

Kind Reagds,

Ramon