Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax future plans?

Michele Petrazzo - Unipex srl wrote:

4. better/easy way to create cover pages and *archive* them with faxes

+1!

The biggest difficulty here has been finding the *better* way. Here are the alternative ways that I've investigated...

1) Making the cover page template be a "PDF Form". The most-severe problem here was that at the time I investigated it there weren't any free PDF Form generators. Then there is the issue of likely needing to add a dependency to a PDF library (such as PDFlib) which at the time I investigated weren't capable of "filling" the PDF Form. I investigated the possibility of scripting-in acroread to do the form-filling, but at the time it was only capable of doing it with an FDF file, and it was messy. These days acroread seems to require X to run (or a complicated frame-buffer workaround). So I wrote this off as simply too complicated.

2) Support Microsoft's Cover Page Editor to develop cover pages (CPD or CPE files). I couldn't find any documentation on the file format... and I simply cringed too much at the thought. Furthermore, not everyone has this available to them, and it probably would get us into the same trouble as we're already in.

3) PCL forms. My understanding is that PCL supports a kind of form ... or something. But I'm not sure this is any different than Postscript forms like we're doing now.

4) HTML forms. Since HTML varies from display to display... this seemed a risky approach depending on how the HTML-to-Postscript converter handled things. I wasn't sure we really wanted to get that dependent on html2ps (although... I'm sure it's gotten better over the years)... AND furthermore, the client could script-in this feature quite easily.

In the end, the vast majority of this is a client issue (server-side cover page generation is possible, but rarely used). So as far as HylaFAX is concerned, we're basically talking about sendfax (and maybe faxmail). If a user is scripting-in sendfax they can certainly script together whatever concoction of Ghostscript, html2ps, acroread, etc. that they find best. Thus, the target market for such a feature is very much limited to sendfax users who are either unable or unwilling to script together their cover-page generator of choice.

This is basically why I didn't pursue it any more than this.

Thanks,