Re: [hylafax-users] Communicating with modem

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Bob Estes wrote:

I'm trying to setup hylafax, but I can't get it to communicate with my modem.

The modem is a Zoom v.34 33.6 Model 2836 PnP fax/modem. It is connected to my serial port and a dedicated phone line. It is connected, turned on, and functional. I have been using it for the last ten years with Windows.

My computer system is a stand-a-lone computer with an Asus P4SDX motherboard. I have a high speed cable internet connection and a dedicated phone line for the fax/modem. My operating system is PCLinuxOS in a dual boot configuration with Windows XP Pro. I am brand new to any form of Linux.

When I installed hylafax I got an error message saying that something called getty was not installed, and that it was a non-fatal error. During the setup, hylafax didn't communicate with the modem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Bob, all of the below is from a Fedora 9 system. Your system may be differently configured. Now; getty is only used if you also use the modem for communications other than hylafax; so it is not needed for faxing purposes. The hylafax program uses faxgetty which is included with the hylafax distribution and should have been installed in your executable path. It runs as super user and mine starts automatically in my init. See: man faxgetty.
A quick way to see if is in the path is to use "which" on the command line, like this: which faxgetty

Mine returns this, confirming it is usable:
root@maplepark hylafax]# which faxgetty
/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty

Did you run faxsetup after installing the program? faxaddmodem?

You can see if faxgetty is really running by using this command as any user:
ps axl | grep faxgetty

Mine shows:
[drf@maplepark snapshots]$ ps ax |grep faxgetty
 3363 pts/6    S+     0:00 grep faxgetty
10749 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
[drf@maplepark snapshots]$

showing that it is running as pid 10749 on ttyS1 (which is my modem.)

Dave

David Forrest e-mail drf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Maple Park Development Corporation http://www.maplepark.com St. Louis, Missouri