[hylafax-users] Communicating with modem

I'm trying to setup hylafax, but I can't get it to communicate with my modem.

The modem is a Zoom v.34 33.6 Model 2836 PnP fax/modem. It is connected to my serial port and a dedicated phone line. It is connected, turned on, and functional. I have been using it for the last ten years with Windows.

My computer system is a stand-a-lone computer with an Asus P4SDX motherboard. I have a high speed cable internet connection and a dedicated phone line for the fax/modem. My operating system is PCLinuxOS in a dual boot configuration with Windows XP Pro. I am brand new to any form of Linux.

When I installed hylafax I got an error message saying that something called getty was not installed, and that it was a non-fatal error. During the setup, hylafax didn't communicate with the modem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob