Re: [hylafax-users] Problem receiving faxes from a particular fax machine / need workaround or fix

Aaron Murray wrote:
I was wondering, the man page you pointed me to was for HylaFax+ -- can you tell me what the difference is between HylaFax and HylaFax+ (all I saw on the website was that the + means its better (laugh)). I am wondering if I should install/compile the plus version or stay with the Ubuntu repository version of HylaFax.

I try to go over most of that on these two pages:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/about.php
http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/hylafax-differences.php

Note that most of that was written before hylafax.org had released 4.4, and so some of it is no longer accurate for 4.4... but it's relatively the same in that there's a bunch of stuff in HylaFAX+ that isn't in hylafax.org releases, and there's a select few things in hylafax.org releases that I refused to follow in HylaFAX+ (namely, mail templating, faxmail lobotomy, and faxq batching rewrite).

The sender is in control of that. So if the sender drops back to 2400 bps, then so will the receiver... however, in your case your modem crashed before it could get there.

(my modem crashed or they gave up trying?).

Your modem crashed, and from that point on we have no idea what the sender did.

Your hsf modem "crashed". That's quite clear. And if the modem "wedges" (i.e. faxgetty cannot reinitialize the modem), then it's crashed hard enough that the only thing that will recover it will be the hsf restart.

Ok, not sure in the log exactly where the hsf modem crashed (I'm sorry I don't really understand much of what the log is saying (except the commands its sending to the modem)), but I would love to get deeper into this and find out 'why' it is crashing, can you point me to some resources that can help me figure out the 'why'?

The HSF modem is probably crashing due to a bug in its software.

If faxing is important to you, then I would suggest a good fax modem... and not the headache that the hsf modem will give you.

I am not completely shocked that you are suggesting this :) I actually hunted high and low to find a place that actually sells MODEMS anymore nevermind a modem that isn't a 'soft' modem.

Well, Mainpine does sell direct. :-) But, I don't recall ever having a hard time shopping for modems on-line.

Thanks,