Re: [hylafax-users] Problem receiving faxes from a particular fax machine / need workaround or fix

Hello Lee,

	Ahh, that might just be what I need to at least fix the busy modem problem.  I am just in the process of upgrading the Ubuntu server (yeah I know it's a release candidate, and final is not out till tomorrow, but hey, call me <insert whatever you want to call me here>).  Anyhow, will have the server back up shortly.  I was wondering, the man page you pointed me to was for HylaFax+ -- can you tell me what the difference is between HylaFax and HylaFax+ (all I saw on the website was that the + means its better (laugh)).  I am wondering if I should install/compile the plus version or stay with the Ubuntu repository version of HylaFax.

> The sender is in control of that.  So if  the sender drops back to 2400
> bps, then so will the receiver... however, in your case your modem
> crashed before it could get there.

(my modem crashed or they gave up trying?).

> You'd need to restart your hsf in an etc/resetmodem script (see 'man
> wedged').
> http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/man/wedged.php
> > BTW, in order to reset it thusfar after the problem arises, I do the following:
> > 	/etc/init.d/hsf restart
> > 	/etc/init.d/hylafax restart
> > Then the server reinitializes itself and works fine again.
>
> I suspect that if you just restart hsf then faxgetty will eventually
> reinitialize the modem and be fine.  Restarting hylafax there has the
> benefit of having an immediate affect.

Yes, this is great information, I am all over the 'wedged' and 'resetmodem' stuff right now, I will do some more reading/configuring on that stuff and test it to make sure that we are at least getting proper resets.  That's very helpful information at this point.

> Your hsf modem "crashed".  That's quite clear.  And if the modem
> "wedges" (i.e. faxgetty cannot reinitialize the modem), then it's
> crashed hard enough that the only thing that will recover it will be the
> hsf restart.

Ok, not sure in the log exactly where the hsf modem crashed (I'm sorry I don't really understand much of what the log is saying (except the commands its sending to the modem)), but I would love to get deeper into this and find out 'why' it is crashing, can you point me to some resources that can help me figure out the 'why'?

> If faxing is important to you, then I would suggest a good fax modem...
> and not the headache that the hsf modem will give you.

I am not completely shocked that you are suggesting this :)  I actually hunted high and low to find a place that actually sells MODEMS anymore nevermind a modem that isn't a 'soft' modem.

Take care,
Aaron Murray