Re: [hylafax-users] faxmail and quoted-printable

sue sue wrote:
>From the tests I have so far done it seems that faxmail does not try to decode quoted-printable mails - but instead sends the encoded strings eg in the subject unchanged straight through .. I was actually expecting faxmail to decode and then send the fax. So my question is, should faxmail actually decode the quoted-printable parts but I have just failed to correctly configure it ?

Here is an example of the mail headers found in my test mails:

Subject: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=FCmlaut4?=

The subject in the fax then appears as :

Well, that's actually encoded with RFC-2047 and not, specifically, quoted-printable (although the encoded-word part of it is very similar).

The next release of HylaFAX+ (5.2.2) will have the ability to *decode* RFC-2047-encoded header lines. However...

The standard character encoding for Postscript documents only includes 7-bit ASCII, and faxmail does not have any ability to redefine the encoding used in its Postscript output. Thus, the HylaFAX+ 5.2.2 output will show that Subject line as:

Subject: mlaut4

Again, this is because the high-bit character is not available to the standard character encoding that is used in Postscript and because faxmail has no ability to redefine the character encoding. So not only is faxmail unable to switch-to the specific character set encoding referenced in the RFC-2047 header, but faxmail has no ability to reference any character set other than simple 7-bit ASCII.

Extending faxmail to support a different character encoding such as ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-2 throughout the document should be a fairly straight-forward exercise for anyone well-versed in Postscript programming. Unfortunately that someone is not currently me.

Thanks,