[hylafax-users] Just can't get sendmail to work -- looking for some real help

I can get local mail to the .FAX domain working as outlined in:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/howto/clients/sendmail-faxmail-mangling.php

(BTW, I am running Centos 5.1)

I then directly modify sendmail.cf and change:

R$+ < @ $+ .FAX. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxx

R$+ < @ $+ .fax.foo.com. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I cannot send mail locally to user@fax#.fax.foo.com as I have a pseudo domain MX record of *.fax.foo.com to fax.foo.com

This is seen as a mail loop.

If I send from a remote system (what I want anyway) I get:

<<< 550 5.7.1 <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Relaying denied
550 5.1.1 <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

Well, kind of expected as the line in sendmail.cf is in Rule Set 0 which is really for local mail, not external mail.

So I have to do a number of things. I have to get sendmail to understand the pseudo domain of .fax.foo.com. Do I do that by modifying the CPFAX line in the local info to CPfax.foo.com ?? But that is in the local info section and I kind of think that is again the wrong area.

And then I have to get the rule:

R$+ < @ $+ .fax.foo.com. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to be used for this incoming mail message.

So I am a quite a bit lost. I have looked at the proto.m4 file where the FAX stuff is set up.

Message me privately please.

Or should I just forget this direct changes to sendmail, and do it all in Procmail or with an external Perl script? I am a little concerned about processing efficiency.