Re: [hylafax-users] long distance dialing, not inserting "1" before area code

jessica six wrote:
--- Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

jessica six wrote:
I have a etc/config as follows:

LogFacility:            daemon
CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               520
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:          1

My modem is on a line where a "1" is needed to
dial
long distance. However, no matter what I dial, it
never will insert a "1" before the area code
unless I
send the "1" as part of my destination. Shouldn't
the
daemon know that if the area code isn't 520, it
needs
to insert a "1" ?
What file/config is not configured correctly?
Your dialrules needs to be configured. There are
many places where 10-digit dialing outside of the local area code does
not imply long-distance.

Lee.

When I configured hylafax via the documentation, I do not recall it mentioning that I needed to manually edit this dialrules file. Also, it looks to me like entries such as:

Area=${AreaCode} ! local area code

Would pick up AreaCode from my etc/config file.
If this is not the case, why the redundancy?

If the documentation that you referred to does not at least mention dialrules configuration then it is probably lacking in that aspect.

${AreaCode} in dialrules *does* refer to the associated item in the etc/config file. However, dialrules by default does not make any assumptions about your long distance dialing plan; it can't.

The number of dialed digits in the USA is not the same as in other countries, and so it's relatively impossible for HylaFAX to make any accurate assumptions about when you are or aren't using an area code. Furthermore, in many, many places in the USA 10-digit numbers do not necessarily always refer to long-distance numbers. There are many, many places where 10-digit dialing is enforced and where some out-of-area-code numbers are still considered "local". So even in the USA HylaFAX cannot know when and when not to add the long-distance prefix, "1".

So that's why you need to configure dialrules.

Thanks,