Re: [hylafax-users] No response to PPS repeated 3 times

On 1/17/08, Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Atis Lezdins wrote:
>
> >> For example, I most likely could send faxes to that same
> >> Samsung fax machine from here... also using IAXmodem.
> >
> > Could you please? I'll send you number off the list, and would be
> > grateful to see your IAXmodem config  :)
> >

> I got the number, and I sent a two-page fax to it just fine using
> HylaFAX+ 5.1.10, IAXmodem 1.1.0, and Asterisk 1.2.24.  I got MCF
> confirmation on both pages.
>
> My iaxmodem configuration looks like this:
>
> device          /dev/ttyIAX0
> port            4570
> refresh         60
> server          127.0.0.1
> peername        ttyIAX0
> secret          thisisaverytrickypassword
> cidname         Lee Howard
> cidnumber       1112223333
> codec           slinear
> nojitterbuffer
> record

Thanks for this test. Can you also send your Hylafax config for IAXmodem?

I see that my IAXmodem probably needs some upgrade.. I also wonder if
it's desirable to have "nojitterbuffer"? Btw, i'm using "ulaw", but i
think that shouldn't have any influence.

I'll be probably improving my zaptel timing for now.

> > Hmm, 99.97%, seems that there's some space for improvements.. However
> > that VoIP fax from Brother was sent over the same zaptel card, and was
> > successful from first attempt. I think this more or less takes common
> > wire (Asterisk/Zaptel) out of the play.
>
> Sending a fax to one kind of fax machine over one path and then to a
> different kind of fax machine over a different path (especially one
> involving VoIP) is not something that you can - in any measurable way -
> use for a compare and contrast experiment.
>
> Again, you're very quick to rule-out factors that cannot be ruled out
> with any amount of confidence based on the experimentation and testing
> that you've done... and then to conclude that the fault lies in
> HylaFAX... is, at best, presumptuous.

Well, i'm just a programmer, used to rule out such factors. Not much
experience in  telephony :)

> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

Regards,