Re: [hylafax-users] Using HylaFAX Server as fax messaging gateway

Halil Ağın wrote:
But, When i want to send a fax, I want my classic fax machine to communicate with HylaFAX Server.
I want HylaFAX Server to act as a gateway.

Your fax machine will want to plug into an FXS port. That's a unique kind of telephony device. Alternatively, there are some kinds of "telephone switches" or "telephone line simulators" that may work to allow you to connect your fax machine into a regular modem port, but the trick in all cases will be to get the dialed number through. Using a regular modem you'd probably have to convert the dialed number into a Caller*ID signal.

In any case, I've done this a few times before. Usually the customer had no phone lines at a site but wanted to use a fax machine there, receive the fax first with HylaFAX, relay it elsewhere to another HylaFAX system where there were phone lines, and then send it out. I did it two different ways, both used IAXmodem and Asterisk. One way was with the fax machine plugged into an ATA. The other way was with the fax machine plugged into a FXS TDM card. HylaFAX using IAXmodem received the fax, and then it did what it did from there to get it where it needed to go.

Thanks,