Re: [hylafax-users] Zoom USB data/fax V.92 USB Mini External Modem

Okay - am I worried about V.34?? - Well I found out what it is and the answer basically is no - I send less than 10 faxes a year so speed isn't a question. Cost is the paramount question.

Tried finding the mainpine fax boards - I could not find a price listed anywhere I looked - so that kind of told me that I probably couldn't afford the fax board no matter how good it is. I saw one price on the Google listing of over $2,000.00, but didn't and don't believe it - that's about 40% more than the computer cost.

Think I may have the best solution for me - am buying a serial i/o board for $39.99 and taking the external data/fax modem from the old computer that died and plugging that into the serial port on the new board. The old modem worked with HylaFAX under FC 5 and so I have no doubt it will work with HylaFAX under Kubuntu 7.10.

For 10 faxes more or less pr year, I think I will be very happy to continue using the old data/fax modem for faxing and $39.99 works very well for me.

I am returning the Zoom USB fax, box unopened.

I thank everybody for their time in instructing me on this issue.

As usual I found the HylaFAX community very willing to help. I also found that several years back when I was trying to get HylaFAX working with the old modem - that turned out to be an issue configuring the configuration files in /var/spool/hylafax (I believe). I have copied the old configuration files to backup and so will have those for reference.

Thank You,
Terry

Michael Hallager wrote:
If this is an important installation then you may be interested in the
very latest fax technology;

http://www.mainpine.com/products_IQE.php

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com

There's always your good friends at Multi Tech:

http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZBA/

has a USB version.