Re: [hylafax-users] what is an acceptable rate of failure ?

On Jan 4, 2008 7:30 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> George H wrote:
> > I looked all over the net on this and can't find anything.
> > Just what is an acceptable rate of failure when sending/recieving faxes?
> >
> > I have hylafax+ on 4 lines and using xferfaxlog for the stats I
> > calculated we have an average of 86.46% rate of receiving faxes. We're
> > talking about maybe 40,000 incomming calls in total.
> >
> > To me an error is any report from hylafax of an Exx error.
> > Success is one where the REASON field in empty.
> >
> > Also I should mention I live in a country where the phone lines arn't
> > exactly perfect. So would there be anything published about it.
> >
> That's a really lousy success rate. 99% success should be the minimum
> you expect. If I were you I would try:

Again 99% according to who ? I looked as much as I could on google and
I see people from various european (Germany to name one) countries
talking about a 80+ success rate as well as others 90 or 92 with other
faxserver solution and being content with it.

> - Checking if the failures are balanced across your 4 lines - i.e. if
> you have a bad (maybe crackly) line.

The percentage of hylafax errors on received faxes seem to be around
16%-18% on all 4 lines. 1 Line is connected to POTS, 1 line is going
through a PBX, and the other 2 lines are going through an E1 Gateway.
They all have around the same success and failure rates 10-17% errors,
and 82-88% success.

How do you check for a "crackly line" ? Are there tools that can be
used to find this out?

> - Checking if the failures predominantly come from a certain source -
> i.e. if you have a bad heavy user.

I have generated reports showing the received call history of all TSIs
that sent us faxes. There are some remote machines that sent us 500
faxes with 100% success using all 4 lines, and some that fail on all
lines except for 2. Some send 30 faxes and have a 0% success rate.
Some are mixed, but a majority have 100% success rate. usually from
what I see if a remote fax machine encounters errors they're pretty
bad.. like 1 guy has "Failure to train modems" 12 times and 0%
success.

> If there errors seem well balanced, I'd try a different modem.

I've tried that, same results on both, I was only able to fix 1 bug by
using multitech modem over USR. But it seems that the remote machines
that have errors sending us faxes on the USR modems still have errors
sending on the multitechs.

Could I just conclude that some people should just upgrade their fax
machines ? or just some lines in the are bad (this is highly possible
since my country was ravaged by war 7 times and some telephone poles
look like spaghetti) ?

--
"Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to do it"
"The probability of anything happening is in inverse ratio to its desirability"