Re: [hylafax-users] what is an acceptable rate of failure ?

George H wrote:
I looked all over the net on this and can't find anything.
Just what is an acceptable rate of failure when sending/recieving faxes?

I have hylafax+ on 4 lines and using xferfaxlog for the stats I
calculated we have an average of 86.46% rate of receiving faxes. We're
talking about maybe 40,000 incomming calls in total.

To me an error is any report from hylafax of an Exx error.
Success is one where the REASON field in empty.

Also I should mention I live in a country where the phone lines arn't
exactly perfect. So would there be anything published about it.

That's a really lousy success rate. 99% success should be the minimum you expect. If I were you I would try:

- Checking if the failures are balanced across your 4 lines - i.e. if you have a bad (maybe crackly) line.
- Checking if the failures predominantly come from a certain source - i.e. if you have a bad heavy user.

If there errors seem well balanced, I'd try a different modem.

Steve