Re: [hylafax-users] what is an acceptable rate of failure ?

George H wrote:
Just what is an acceptable rate of failure when sending/recieving faxes?

It's important to make sure what counts as a failure, and how one then calculates a "rate" of its occurrence as compared to what other non-failure conditions.

I usually calculate receiving errors as session failures per number of pages received (both numbers are easily retrieved via the 'recvstats' script). Some people like to calculate them as session failures per total sessions, but I'll explain why I do it as I do...

Normally on a well-tuned system if a session failure occurs with a particular sender... the chances of that sender calling back are extremely high... and the chances of that subsequent call experiencing another similar session failure is also quite high. So if there is a sender with really bad lines (or with VoIP "lines") who wants to send me a 10-page fax, and if that fax has a session error occur during every other page... then it's going to take 5 or 6 calls to get all of the pages through with 4 or 5 session errors.

If I thus calculate receiving error rate as session failures per total calls... the error rate is 80% or 83.3% for that caller.

The way that I calculate the receiving error rate (session failures per total pages received)... the error rate is 40% or 50% for that caller... and this seems a whole lot more accurate to me as far as a meaningful representation goes. The high alternative seems... meaningless, really... 80% of the calls fail... but without any indication of how long each call was or how much non-error behavior occurred before the single error condition... 80% really means very little to me. 40% seems a lot more accurate, to me, as far as the representation of our communication ability with that sender goes.

Furthermore, it's very easy for a single problematic sender to skew the statistics to an incredibly insane degree. Let me explain...

Assume that you have gotten 100 fax calls with a total of 500 pages in them. Assume that the only errors were one caller who had a hard time with a 1-page fax... and they called (and negotiated a "fax" session) 10 times (this is not an absurd degree of persistence, either). By calculating the error rate per-calls you end up with an error rate of 10%. It seems extremely unfair. Rather, the per-pages rate seems much more meaningful, 2%.

Also... realize that HylaFAX doesn't count a receive fax "session" until it gets Phase B signaling from the sender. So if you get telmarketer war-dialers pounding on your lines (and all you need is a block of 1000 DIDs in the USA to see this happen very commonly) who generate 1 voice-telemarketer call on each DID ... you can see that they will greatly skew the error rates by their behavior that has absolutely nothing to do with fax or what you're trying to measure.

So that's why I use error rates calculated per-page. Per-call error rates never really mean much to me... they don't seem to measure accurately what it is that we're really trying to measure.

So, that said...

On the production systems that I administer I usually see error rates (again, per-page) much, much less than 1%. Usually it's around 0.1%... but, depending on that customer's sender pool I've seen it get to what I would consider "high" (around 3%, in which cases it's almost always because they have a frequent sender who has a bad fax machine or bad lines or something).

In sending situations we don't have to worry about voice-calls and other similar issues creeping into our statistics ... and although I still do calculations on a per-page basis, the per-call information can give you a sense for how often people send to wrong numbers or busy numbers or such. Normally I see send error rates around 1%, but this varies widely ... depending on how trustworthy the numbers are and how frequently we send to busy numbers. Instead of paying any attention to send error "rates" I simply look for total job failures (again, if a session fails once due to something that is a real problem - something that needs our attention - its chances of failing on all attempts is extremely high)...

So in sending conditions if the job failed I ignore any that fail due to "busy", "no carrier", or "no answer" conditions. Everything else I take quite seriously. If I see one such job failure (in an average day of sending 1500 pages of fax I pay attention to the session logs to make sure that it's not a problem that needs my attention, but I generally don't fret too much). If I see five such job failures in the same conditions to different numbers... then I am worried.

Thus... in sending conditions I don't really pay attention to rates... but rather whole numbers... I watch the errors themselves.

I have hylafax+ on 4 lines and using xferfaxlog for the stats I
calculated we have an average of 86.46% rate of receiving faxes. We're
talking about maybe 40,000 incomming calls in total.

I'm not sure whether this is calculated per-page or per-call. If it's per-call then this number is really somewhat meaningless to me. If it's per-page then you have problems.

To me an error is any report from hylafax of an Exx error.
Success is one where the REASON field in empty.

Also I should mention I live in a country where the phone lines arn't
exactly perfect. So would there be anything published about it.

If your phone lines are bad then make the telco fix them. If it's other people's from whom you receive faxes frequently, then you should tell them about it.

Thanks,