Re: [hylafax-users] "COMREC invalid response.." persisting in HylaFAX+ 5.2.0

Walter Hop wrote:
Dec 12 14:59:02.53: [ 1373]: HylaFAX (tm) Version 5.2.0

Good. I needed you here so that I could be confident that you're not running into an issue that I've already solved that somehow just hasn't made it's way to hylafax.org releases.

Dec 12 14:59:31.19: [ 1373]: SEND send PPS (partial page signal)
Dec 12 14:59:31.19: [ 1373]: SEND send EOP (no more pages or documents)
Dec 12 14:59:31.19: [ 1373]: <-- [9:AT+FRH=3\r]
Dec 12 14:59:31.33: [ 1373]: --> [7:CONNECT]
Dec 12 14:59:32.55: [ 1373]: --> HDLC<5:FF C8 5F C8 E7>
Dec 12 14:59:32.56: [ 1373]: --> [2:OK]
Dec 12 14:59:32.56: [ 1373]: SEND recv DCN (disconnect)

Okay, so I think that these are the possibilities...

1) The receiver may not like the V.17 short-train that this modem produces. In other words, a slight incompatibility between the modem and the receiver.

2) There may be a particular audio distortion between the modem and the receiver that amount to the same as #1.

3) The receiver may not like the MMR image data that we're sending... or there is some kind of incompatibility between HylaFAX's encoder and the receiver's MMR decoder.

4) There may be some unlikely quirk in our ECM protocol that the receiver does not like.

5) The receiver always sends DCN in response to EOP (and thus is broken).

I don't know how you're submitting tests to this destination, but for this troubleshooting I'll need you to use sendfax. First, I need you to run a control test without making any changes to the configuration. Please run:

 echo "This is just a test." | textfmt > /tmp/test.ps
 sendfax -n -3 -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps

This control test should result in the same thing: "COMREC invalid response received to PPS." If it does not result in this then stop testing. The problem then likely has to do with some particulars of the image data that you're submitting, and I'll need to give you new instructions for testing.

If that test results in the same error, then you need to make one change to the modem configuration file so that we can control the tests more specifically. In the modem config file put:

ModemSoftRTFCC: no

Please run the following tests in this order. To test #5 please run:

sendfax -n -3 -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps /tmp/test.ps

This *should* fail after the first page, after PPS-MPS instead of PPS-EOP. If the receiver responds MCF to PPS-MPS and then DCN to PPS-EOP, then stop; the issue probably is #5, and there's not much that we can do about it. Make sure that the receiver is actually printing out all of the pages.

To test #3 please run:

sendfax -n -1 -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps

If this fails then we know that the image data itself is not likely the problem. If this succeeds, then stop; #3 is probably the issue; let me know if the receiver is actually printing out all of the pages or not.

To test #4 please run:

sendfax -n -1 -E -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps

If this fails then we know that the problem is not with any particulars of the ECM protocol as employed by the receiver or HylaFAX. If it succeeds, then stop; #4 is likely the issue; again, let me know if the receiver is printing out all of the pages.

To test #1 please run:

sendfax -n -3 -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -B 9600 -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps

and then also:

sendfax -n -3 -t 1 -F "test" -h cuad0@ -B 4800 -d 003232xxxxxx /tmp/test.ps

If either of these succeed then #1 is likely the issue. If either does succeed then run the control test with different modems (in particular modems with different chipsets) and see what happens. If both fail then #2 is likely the problem.

If #2 is likely the problem then it probably means that somewhere between you and the receiver the telephone audio is getting distorted. Try different phone lines... in particular phone lines with other telcos, (if possible). Have the telco check that call connection, if possible. If anyone's using VoIP in the call path (you, the receiver, or the telcos) then VoIP is probably to blame.

If you get to the end of this and still don't have any glaring suspects, then it's time that we involve the receiver a bit more... what kind of fax machine is it? What kind of error message are they getting? Do they have other fax reception problems?

Thanks,