Re: [hylafax-users] Distinctive ring problems with Conexant modem

From: Volker Kuhlmann <list0570 <at> paradise.net.nz>
Subject: Distinctive ring problems with Conexant modem <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c20071112114127.GD6261%40paradise.net.nz%3e>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.telephony.fax.hylafax.user <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.telephony.fax.hylafax.user>
Date: 2007-11-12 11:41:27 GMT (10 hours and 5 minutes ago)

Problem 1: default settings don't recognise cadences
(WFR: received cadence = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0), I have to explciitly set DRingOff and
DRingOn to DROF= and DRON=. Minor issue.

I believe that this is intentional.

Problem 2: The manual
(http://www.hylafax.org/man/current/hylafax-config.4f.php) is referred to as
ultimate reference when googling, but is inadequate in explaining the
DistinctiveRings: setting. The example is for leading/trailing DRingOff values
ignored. Should I not ignore them? I get:
WFR: received cadence = 4, -13, 4, 0, 0
This doesn't work: DistinctiveRings: F-4-13-4
The modem never picks up.

Does "F-4-13-4-0-0" not work?

Problem 3: The cadence numbers reported by the modem with DRON/DROF and logged
with the WFR: lines fluctuate by 1 sometimes every other time. Is hylafax
expected to cope with that: If not, will something like this work:

DistinctiveRings: F-4-13-4,F-3-14-3,F-4-14-3

Although the number of permutations is quite high.

HylaFAX is not expected to cope with it automatically, no. Maybe the parser could be changed to support ranges, but at the moment it doesn't, and you would need to do as you describe in your config, yes.

Problem 4: The first ring generated by the phone company for a fax call is
different from all the subsequent ones. Is hylafax able/expected to cope with
that?

I don't know. If it's not able then it seems to be something that we ought to be able to fix.