Re: [hylafax-users] hfaxd pdf2fax image quality

Your printer most likely has a print resolution of 600 dpi or better. So the print driver or rendering engine within the printer itself can make use of that high resolution to dither the non-monochrome parts of the image with significantly more gradation than Ghoscript can when dithering to a resolution of 100 or 200 dpi.

That said, there probably could be some improvements to Ghoscript in this regard. See "Color Printing in Ghostscript"

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/ghostscript.php

And, no, in my experience -dDOINTERPOLATE and -dDITHERPPI=x do not help at all.

Lee.

Steven Jardine wrote:

OK. I guess my big concern is that if I print the pdf out on my laser printer and then fax it, the quality is much better than faxing it directly from hylafax. I understand the no grayscale but it seems like I should get similiar quailty. Is this right?

Michael Stowe wrote:

Greyscale images aren't likely to look good unless they're dithered or
halftoned -- FAXes don't do greyscale.

I am working on sending a pdf document using hfaxd.  The pdf document
contains images that when converted to ps/tiff look very grainy.  The
pdf file / images are all grayscale.  I am using a Mandrake Linux 10.1
with hylafax+ 5.1.3.  My question is ... is there a way to increase the
quailty?  Thanks in advance.

Steve