Re: [hylafax-users] hfaxd pdf2fax image quality

So . . . other than creating 2 sets of documents, 1 with halftone black and white images and the other color, I am really stuck with the poor quality? Is there any other way to auto halftone or dither my color or grayscale images?

Thanks.
Steve

BTW Lee, my last problem with my problem receiving faxes. It turn out to be a bad circuit with the long distance company. Go figure. Thanks for the information.

Lee Howard wrote:
Your printer most likely has a print resolution of 600 dpi or better. So the print driver or rendering engine within the printer itself can make use of that high resolution to dither the non-monochrome parts of the image with significantly more gradation than Ghoscript can when dithering to a resolution of 100 or 200 dpi.

That said, there probably could be some improvements to Ghoscript in this regard. See "Color Printing in Ghostscript"

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/ghostscript.php

And, no, in my experience -dDOINTERPOLATE and -dDITHERPPI=x do not help at all.

Lee.

Steven Jardine wrote:

OK. I guess my big concern is that if I print the pdf out on my laser printer and then fax it, the quality is much better than faxing it directly from hylafax. I understand the no grayscale but it seems like I should get similiar quailty. Is this right?

Michael Stowe wrote:

Greyscale images aren't likely to look good unless they're dithered or
halftoned -- FAXes don't do greyscale.

I am working on sending a pdf document using hfaxd. The pdf document
contains images that when converted to ps/tiff look very grainy. The
pdf file / images are all grayscale. I am using a Mandrake Linux 10.1
with hylafax+ 5.1.3. My question is ... is there a way to increase the
quailty? Thanks in advance.

Steve