Re: [hylafax-users] rockforce octo and multitech MultiModemISI

On 6/15/07, Andrew Rinaldi <andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree that wedging should not exist.  Indeed on our new PCI Express
products we have not seen any of the chipset related issues that we had with
Venus.

Thanks for the agreement.

The IQ Express family includes a 1 port product.  The whole family is half
height, half length, PCI Express, that will fit into some incredibly small
systems.  It's also based on the very latest CFAX chipset so you can count
on many years availability and support (unlike Venus which is close to EOL).

Sorry, you missed my point on embedded. PCI-Express precludes embedded.

http://www.mainpine.com/products_IQE.php

I saw this, see above.

The price you pay for a Mainpine product includes all of the development
expertise that we bring to the fax market, it includes support for almost
every fax package, including HylaFAX and HylaFAX+.  You say that paying 4
times as much as the competitor is not worth the money... but I ask you how
much is your time worth and how much do lost fax's cost you or your customer
?

I didn't say that. US$500 for the modem alone will outprice our product; as simple as that. Plus, one line will be unused. Some people can live with one or another fax getting lost; rather than not being able to afford the system at all. Currently, we are using a Agere OCM V.92 Ver2.7a (Jun 14 2004) Voice Mercury DP2SH mode-ii SERIAL. This is rather US$20; but aside from speed our clients are pretty happy. It has never really failed us; across thousands of faxes. The disadvantage of serial is the extra power supply.

I don't know the answer to your question about OpenBSD because my expertise
is much more on the hardware and firmware side of things.... did you raise a
mainpine support ticket ?  I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a
response to that sort of question....

I sent an e-mail; but I'll also raise a support ticket now.

Thanks, Andrew !

Uwe