Re: [hylafax-users] rockforce octo and multitech MultiModemISI

On 6/13/07, Andrew Rinaldi <andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

Though I can partially agree with you, I am still amazed about this
'wedgeing' problem. Yes, it exists. But it does not for cards like VGA
or NICs that transport a thousand times more data. My suspicion is
still on hardware or software ...

Also, (I did ask for external, USB modems a few weeks ago, without
answer), I can't make out why an external modem should be less
reliable than an internal one. We want to go for embedded systems; and
then PCI-slots are not always the preferred choice. Actually, the
combined embedded system and the external modem can be smaller than
the PCI in the casing. Plus, with USB one should be able to be more
flexible w.r.t. the number of lines.

To be honest, and here Yohan might be able to help, I have tried in
vain over the last weeks to buy a few samples from Multitech;
contacting them through their site, a few times, no answer, sending an
e-mail, no answer, finally sending a fax, still no answer. I wonder
about their business model ... ;)
Would you have any e-mail address there, where someone is actually
willing to sell a modem or two ?

I do appreciate the presence of Mainpine in here; and the support of
Hylafax. But the restriction to PCI and a minimal number of two lines
is an obstacle as well. If, if, I could get a single line V34 from
that other company, the difference in price would be about 1:4; also
because of the one line (that is sufficient for us) versus 2 lines
(minimum).

Oh, and I still did not get an answer for my question, per e-mail, if
mainpine supports OpenBSD out of the box ?

Uwe