Re: [hylafax-users] 3com / USR feedback please

Luke McKee wrote:

My thoughts on what, exactly?

Lee,

http://wiki.openpbx.org/tiki-index.php?page=T.38%20Compatibility%20List

1) Using openpbx to make iaxmodem do t38 (t38 termination)

In theory it should be do-able. However, if you have FoIP service coming from upstream, I would think that using a T.38 soft-modem and the PBX in T.38-pass-through would be a better approach.

That's all said in theory, however, because I don't do much T.38 at all.

2) to allow it to convert t38modem to sip so it can be used with VOIP ata's.

Again, I would think that this would be possible... however, I don't know how well Woomera+Callweaver (to accomplish the H.323 support) work to accomplish this.

3) Using openpbx as a t38 -> pstn gateway

That's the basic function that I know that they were chasing. It's supposed to work somewhat well now. I've not used it yet, though.

My lack of involvement in T.38 is not without reason... All of my customers are extremely demanding on the phone. They literally will not tolerate any audible jitter or dropped calls or most of the rest of the normal, occassional "glitches" that you will get when running VoIP through a typical provider. If it happens once in a day's worth of phone calls (lots of phone traffic) then it's too much for them, and I suffer their wrath. If they ever hang up their VoIP phone and then redial the customer with their cell phone then it is serious egg on my face. Call clarity and quality and reliability for them is important enough that they are delighted to pay the money that is required to get hard phone lines (PRI or analogue) and pay bigger toll fees. So in those scenarios where I have PSTN lines I don't have any use for T.38... except maybe between a faxmachine+ATA and the PBX (where SIP/G.711 seems to work tolerably well over the LAN anyway). Any involvement that I would take into T.38 apps right now would merely be for hobby interest.

I use both VoIP and analogue lines at my home and office. I don't have any real complaint about VoIP service, either. My customers connect with me via VoIP, and their own inter/intra-office calls are all VoIP. But they insist on hard phone lines when they communicate with their own customers. Maybe I'm dealing with some particular shortcoming in Asterisk/Callweaver... but I tend to think that the jitter is just to be expected with all VoIP service... and thus I have a bit of difficulty in believing, as VoIP-proponents will argue, that VoIP will eventually phase-out the PSTN completely.

Those are my thoughts. :-)