Re: [hylafax-users] New way of using Eicom diva boards for fax reception

Luke McKee wrote:

I've saw that the Mainpine people were saying a few negative things
about the Eicon Diva server in earlier posts by suggesting to list
readers not to buy these boards in contary to what the "official"
hylafax howto says.

Just so we're clear on a few things... the HOWTO does not say to buy an Eicon Diva Server. (In fact, I have made deliberate efforts to keep it from *endorsing* any specific products.) What it does say, however, in regards to the Eicon Diva Server is, "The Eicon Diva Server is known to work well." That's all. There is no recommendation for the user to go and buy it or not. Again, the HOWTO modem section is not meant as a list of endorsements (as it seems people would prefer it to be), but rather as simple user-experience information.

In the HOWTO you'll notice a few statements involving Mainpine hardware, one touching on multiport modems, another touching on V.34-Fax modems, and another in listing manufacturers that use Agere chipsets (Agere and Rockwell/Conexant being named as chipsets that work "very well" for fax). However, again, this is not meant to be an endorsement, but rather an explanation of user experience.

I've used Eicon Diva Servers, and I've used Mainpine hardware. I don't really see how one of these products compete against another since one is for T1/E1/ISDN circuits and the other is for analogue... so I'm not really sure that the two markets compete against one another. Maybe they do. I'm not in a position to judge that. But I can tell you that when I have a customer approach me for consultation that the decision is almost always out of my hands. If they have a T1 circuit then we look for T1 interfaces. If they have analogue lines then we look for analogue interfaces.

That said, my personal (not "official") preference is to use the Patton 2977 instead of the Eicon Diva Server. (However, others here have repeatedly expressed the exact opposite preference.) My preference in this is *solely* based on the fact that when it comes to faxing I like *HylaFAX* to be in control because I can fix or work-around the vast majority of problems that may arise. I like a true Class 1 interface where the modem obeys the Class 1 commands as it should (instead of running things proxy-style behind a Class 1/ Class 2 facade).

Unfortunately, HylaFAX does not have a native CAPI interface. AVM and the CAPI4HylaFAX authors have, to my knowledge, not expressed a desire to cooperate in software development. That said, I don't know much about CAPI - I don't know if I would favor CAPI over Class 1.

To my knowledge Eicon has never participated on this mailing list. However, Mainpine has been an on-list supporter for a long time now. I give Mainpine credit for that. I believe that the vast majority of the readership benefits from their participation here. Mainpine doesn't control HylaFAX development or documentation, isn't in a position to put the software development in a conflict of interest, and doesn't abuse their posting privileges to the list.

To my knowledge both Mainpine and Eicon support their products well. I don't know if Eicon tests their products actively with HylaFAX (and I would be somewhat surprised if they did), but I do know that Mainpine does... and I credit them also for that. Again, I don't believe your constant harassment of them to be particularly productive.

The HOWTO cannot endorse products because an endorsement really, truly needs some kind of guarantee backing up that endorsement. The user needs to be able to come back to someone who gives an endorsement and hold them responsible for it. Giving a meaningful product endorsement is not something that the HOWTO can do. I have to sit down and discuss things with each of my customers, discover their needs, discuss their concerns, and only after that kind of interviewing can I give a meaningful kind of endorsement. Without that process all that I can give out is information.

Thanks,