Re: [hylafax-users] Problems trying to fax from Eicon PRI to Eicon PRI

Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

Apr 13 23:47:15.30: [18477]: --> [22:+FDIS: 2,5,2,2,0,2,0,0]
Apr 13 23:47:15.30: [18477]: --> [2:OK]

Apr 13 23:47:15.30: [18477]: REMOTE best vres 15.4 line/mm

Apr 13 23:47:15.30: [18477]: High resolution document is not supported
by client, image resolution 7.71654 lines/mm

Eicon does some really weird things with their Class 2. It's really Class 2.1 living inside of a Class 2 command set.

Notice the +FDIS "2" for the VR parameter (that first 2 in the response). Now, I guess it depends on whose Class 2 set you're looking at, but the one that I have says nothing about any possible "2" setting. According to the Class 2 spec that I have, VR only can be 0 or 1 (normal or fine).

It's not clear in the Class 2 spec that VR is or isn't a bitmap. It means the same thing when the only options are 0 or 1. In Class 2.0/2.1 VR *is* a bitmap. So when HylaFAX sees that "2" it interprets it as a bitmap, as it's the only way that it can make sense of it... and it, then, translates it into meaning "normal and superfine (no fine)".

Most likely Eicon reports "2" here with VR to indicate a "maximum" support of superfine with fine also being supported. But that is not entirely harmonious with T.30. A fax receiver could, in theory, disable fine and enable superfine. (Although, I've never seen a single case of that.)

So in this case the Eicon gave a weird response - one that strictly isn't per-spec - and HylaFAX got tripped up by it. When running in Class 2 HylaFAX should probably cap the receiver's VR support at 1 (fine). But that wouldn't have had any benefit in this case. It still would have had to have hung up and then reformatted to normal and then redialed.

I would suggest bringing this up with Eicon.