Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax+ 5.1.1 with pam_winbind Debian

* Rick Romero <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [070409 15:27]:

> Apr  9 13:15:55 localhost HylaFAX[2697]: PAM checking user "ricktest" pass "(null)" from "172.16.1.82"
> Apr  9 13:15:55 localhost hfaxd[2697]: pam_authenticate failed in pamCheck with 0x13: Conversation error
> Apr  9 13:15:59 localhost HylaFAX[2697]: PAM checking user "ricktest" pass "test123!" from "172.16.1.82"
> Apr  9 13:16:01 localhost hfaxd[2697]: pam_authenticate failed in pamCheck with 0x7: Authentication failure

This looks like "HylaFAX" is working, and PAM is failing the request
intentionally.

> I'm using JHylafax to test my authentication.  Local users work, but I
> get the above errors for a Windows user.

So you're trying to get HylafAX to authenticate against a "local" samba
server as a domain controller? or against a "remote" windows server
using samba?  By "local" users, do you mean in HylaFAX host.hfaxd file?
or local to the unix system (via PAM), or local to some domain
controller?

I have no experience with Samba or domain controllers in that fashion.
But you should be able to work on PAM with *any* system authentication
mechanism, not just HylaFAX.  Can you get PAM to work as you want for
SSH?  or for telnet for simple tests?  Or a console login?

From that log, it appears as if HylaFAX is properly trying to
authenticate the user with PAM, but your PAM configuration isn't doing
what you want it to.  Unfortunately, I'm no expert on configuring PAM,
or samba, and certainly not the two combined!

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103