Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax+ 5.1.1 with pam_winbind Debian

Rick Romero wrote:

Apr  9 10:13:33 localhost hfaxd[32636]: pam_authenticate failed in
pamCheck with 0x7: Authentication failure
Apr  9 10:13:33 localhost *** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked
list: 0x08098018 ***

The error "pam_authenticate failed in pamCheck with 0x7: Authentication failure" is fairly clear. pam_authenticate (PAM function to authenticate the user/pass) is failing and returning 0x7 which, translated, means "Authentication failure". And that's perhaps a fairly generic-sounding error-message to get from a "pam_authenticate" function, but it typically just means that your username or password are not matching up. In any case, the authentication failure is a matter to resolve with your underlying PAM configuration or authentication mechanism.

As for the "corrupted double-linked list" message ... that indicates either a bug in HylaFAX code or in the PAM library... but it's probably benign, and will probably not be there when you resolve your PAM issue.

I've just run HylaFAX+ 5.1.2 hfaxd under valgrind and reproduced the pam_authenticate error (by typing in a bogus password), but I didn't see anything that would warn me of a corrupted pointer list. So, you may want to try updating your PAM library.