Re: [hylafax-users] general IAXmodem concepts

Lee Howard wrote on 04/05/2007 07:58 PM:

marthter wrote:

I guess my main question is, can I run just IAXmodem (without Asterisk) and let it be the client to my VOIP provider's IAX compatible server?

You can, but the chances of that working reliably well for you are not in your favor. Data will get lost in the jitter.

Then I'll understand which of these scenarios are possible or impossible:

1. My HylaFAX server runs IAXmodem, IAXmodem talks to VOIP provider's IAX compatible server to place fax calls to PSTN

It's possible, but again, it's not likely to work well.

yeah, I guess my scenario 1 and my "main question" above (HylaFAX implied), were basically the same.

2. My HylaFAX server talks to IAXmodem, which is running in my Asterisk server (possibly on same box), Asterisk server talks to VOIP provider's IAX compatible server to place fax calls to PSTN

Again, this is possible, but since the audio runs over a lossy/jittery channel it's not likely to work well.

3. My HylaFAX server talks to IAXmodem, which is running in my Asterisk server (possibly on same box), Asterisk server uses one of its FXOs connected to one of my analog lines to place fax calls to PSTN

This is what should work very well.

I understand the caveats about faxing over VOIP (at least in as much as one can understand the caveats without understanding the above! ).

It sounds like you may understand them but apparently you don't believe them.

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/fax-over-voip.pdf

No I believe them too, I just couldn't understand why people would be talking about IAXmodem if the problems were insurmountable. I figured why would you bother throwing Asterisk into the mix, if it wasn't saving you the phone and long distance charges of the analogue lines.

Anyway, thanks. I've read that PDF (and many of your other posts on the subject - been reading the list for 3 or 4 years now).

So from what you're saying (if I'm getting it : - ), IAXmodem it is not being talked about and used because it lets you use HylaFAX on VOIP, it is just being talked about and used because it is another option for a local fax modem using local analogue lines.

(Or on bigger-scale Asterisk, I guess that could be "another option for local fax modem using whatever upstream phone network interface" T1, etc)

Thanks for helping me get the picture.

Regards.

Martin