Re: [hylafax-users] Authentication problem

* Mark Ter Morshuizen <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> [070207 08:16]:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using procmail to submit faxes to hylafax. I have this same solution working on another box but on the one I'm busy with now I have authentication problems.
>
> My logs show the following:
>
> 8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> procmail: Executing "sendfax,-f,mark@xxxxxxxxxxx,-n,-d,0219318269,/home/faxout/faxtmp/faxtest.pdf"
> Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS From mark@xxxxxxxxxxx Wed Feb 07 14:56:06 2007': Syntax error, expecting <CRLF>.
> /8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> My hosts.hfaxd currentl looks like this:
>
> 8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # hosts.hfaxd
> # This file contains permissions and password for every user in
> # the system.
> #
> # For more information on this biject, please see its man page
> # and the commands faxadduser and faxdeluser.
> localhost:21::
> mark itbox.co.za:21::
> /8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The HylaFAX authentication doesn't rely on the "-f" from user.    It
relies on the "user", client IP/address, and password from the connecting client.

If you raise the logging level of hfaxd, you will see something like:
	Feb  7 08:37:24 pepper HylaFAX[6172]: HylaFAX INET connection from computer [10.1.2.3]
	Feb  7 08:37:24 pepper HylaFAX[6172]: command: USER mountie
	Feb  7 08:37:24 pepper HylaFAX[6172]: USER mountie

So in this case, even though my -f was set to "Aidan <aidan@xxxxxxxx>"
you can see that hfaxd is trying to authenticate "mountie" (the user
that sendfax submitted) and client IP of 10.1.2.3.  So if I wanted to
allow this user, I would have the following line in
hosts.hfaxd:
Leaving <password> blank if I wanted to not require a password.

See the man page for hosts.hfaxd for the gory details.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103