Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts (ä) broken

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 1. Februar 2007 22:10 schrieb Lee Howard:

It's the wrong approach, and I have publicly told many times those still
developing at hylafax.org that it is the wrong approach. They ignore me
and largely do not respond to me. I think that they've invested a lot
of time into the templating, and they will be extremely reluctant to
abandon it.

All you did was jump up and shout that you didn't like the idea of
templates, and you wanted to keep everything in 1 big file with
different character sets and all the problems associated with that.

Firstly, understand that you're replying to a message (or a part thereof) that was not sent to the list, but was sent privately. That recipient chose to reply with the private content back to the list. I've said those things on list before (or at least I've tried to) and I don't particularly mind what the recipient did in sending this back to the list, but I just simply don't have the desire to enter into these kinds of dialogues with you or Darren any more, and so I wouldn't normally have sent the message to which you're replying to the list.

In reply to what you're saying, initially I did not object to templating. In fact, initially I believed that it would be an improvement. You chose to re-tackle mail internationalization with templating, and that alone makes a show-stopper situation for me. I simply cannot have dozens of mail template files for every language supported by my systems and then have to go through maintenance to potentially hundreds of files merely to make a small modification to a customized mail message. The way that I'm doing it in HylaFAX+ (and the way it used to be done with versions 4.3.0 and earlier) I change one file in one place, and it's done. Anyway, my objections on this have been public for quite some time now, initially in on-list postings, now compiled here: http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/hylafax-differences.php#mailscripts

I said that I eventually planned on breaking the dictionary up into language-specific files - however, I *still* feel like there just aren't enough translations there to make that worthwhile. There are only 9 translations right now, and all of them except for one use the same character set. I don't object to breaking that up, it's just not seemed really worthwhile yet.

It's not like you offered solutions to any of the problems that
bin/dictionary was running into. You just kept saying that
bin/dictionary was the idol we were to bow down too...

Well, I did offer solutions, and I did not claim idolatry, but your approach here in this very message (typical of how things were - and are, I guess), make finding common ground nearly impossible.

I do not have of the personal attachment to templates that you seem to
imply.  My goal as a software developer is to continue to improve
software, recognising that one of the *largest* costs and burdens of
software is maintaining it and improving it in the future.  Templates
took about a day to implement (1/2 for awk/shell, and a 1/2 for initial
translations).

Understand that from a user perspective the entire development effort since 4.3.0 has been focused on templating. Sure, there are a few other things there (some of which was pulled from HylaFAX+) - but the vast majority of the hylafax.org commits since 4.3.0 are template-related - first implementing them, and then cleaning up the damage they and the rewrites did. So at least from this user's perspective, the last year of development at hylafax.org has been centered on templates and the hundred or more files that involved.

The cost of templates is in continuing to update them
for future stuff. And I think that templates makes that future easier.

Well, I disagree.

As to "ignore me and largely do not respond to me", you were the one who
largely started ignoring things (or at least not wanting to work with
others).

Again, I disagree. I hardly think that my behavior on-list and off can constitute me *ignoring* HylaFAX. However, even if I entertain the idea that my departure to hylafax.sourceforge.net constitutes me *ignoring* "things", realize that did not happen until after many years of trying to work with you and Darren. My development work probably constituted 95% or more of the work done between 4.2.0 and 4.3.0 inclusive. I did try, and some progress was made, but largely it was still unbearably frustrating. There had to come some point when I "started" a departure.

From what I see, hylafax.org is still a *community* project,
with more than 1 person committing stuff (in fact, you *still* have
commit privileges at cvs.hylafax.org), while at SF, you have a CVS where
you are the *only* one who commits.

I'm not sure that this is relevant. If a contributor contributes work to HylaFAX I have generally taken that and put it immediately into the sourceforge repository. Sometimes contributors simply e-mail me the work, and I commit it from there. I'm not really sure that the quantity of people who have commit privileges is relevant to the quality of software development that will therefore occur.

In fact, when you "left", you
largely left the impression that it was because you didn't want to have
to work with anybody, but rather wanted to forge ahead on your own, not
liking the idea of collaborative work.

Well, if my open work supporting HylaFAX users on-list and off, my continued participation on Bugzilla, and my open development of HylaFAX+ does not constitute collaboration then I don't know what you mean by "collaboration" except that you find my using the sourceforge repository to be otherwise. If my track record with IAXmodem is of any indication for my character, then I would contend that you've misrepresented me. As for HylaFAX... my only choices for finding inner peace with my HylaFAX development was to either move my work elsewhere or to simply stop doing it (publicly). I believe that I chose the more "open" and "collaborative" approach.

Anyway, it looks like Darren's chiming in now, and surely it's going to be another one of *those* kinds of exchanges, so for the sake of those bearing the burden of reading this dialogue, I'll stop here.

Thanks,