Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts (ä) broken

> Am Donnerstag, 1. Februar 2007 22:10 schrieb Lee Howard:

> > It's the wrong approach, and I have publicly told many times those still
> > developing at hylafax.org that it is the wrong approach.  They ignore me
> > and largely do not respond to me.  I think that they've invested a lot
> > of time into the templating, and they will be extremely reluctant to
> > abandon it.

All you did was jump up and shout that you didn't like the idea of
templates, and you wanted to keep everything in 1 big file with
different character sets and all the problems associated with that.

It's not like you offered solutions to any of the problems that
bin/dictionary was running into.  You just kept saying that
bin/dictionary was the idol we were to bow down too...

I do not have of the personal attachment to templates that you seem to
imply.  My goal as a software developer is to continue to improve
software, recognising that one of the *largest* costs and burdens of
software is maintaining it and improving it in the future.  Templates
took about a day to implement (1/2 for awk/shell, and a 1/2 for initial
translations).  The cost of templates is in continuing to update them
for future stuff.  And I think that templates makes that future easier.

If something better than templates comes along, I would be probably one
of the first to support it.  Unfortunately, better than the current
templating is *not* bin/dictionary.  It is:

1) Fully i18n capable.
2) Fully customisable for look and feel
3) Uses gettext/PO language translations files

Note that the current "templates" support both 1 and 2.

As to "ignore me and largely do not respond to me", you were the one who
largely started ignoring things (or at least not wanting to work with
others).  From what I see, hylafax.org is still a *community* project,
with more than 1 person committing stuff (in fact, you *still* have
commit privileges at cvs.hylafax.org), while at SF, you have a CVS where
you are the *only* one who commits.  In fact, when you "left", you
largely left the impression that it was because you didn't want to have
to work with anybody, but rather wanted to forge ahead on your own, not
liking the idea of collaborative work.

a.

aidan@xxxxxxxxxxx                                       command like a king,